Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Three Letters for you DMV

Why is the DMV always such a lame experience? I have yet to figure this one out, but every time I have to go I just dread it. Well after 2 1/2 years of living in the State of California, I decided to finally be legal and get my DL changed. Here in this lovely state you have to take a written exam if you have an out of state license, this of course just adds to the time you have to spend at the DMV. So, last week I scheduled an appointment on line, this is a nice feature here that seems to make the experience much faster. This morning I left the house and grabbed my SS card and my passport just knowing that they would want some other form of ID. It is always a mystery as to what they will require. Well, I arrived at the DMV right on time got in the short line for appointments and then told the very unfriendly lady what I was there for. She gave me the appropriate form and then asked, "Do you have your Birth Certificate?" "NO" I replied, "But I did bring my passport and SS card!" "You must have a birth certificate." she says, "You can go home and get it and come back and still have your appointment!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME! People at the DMV don't kid and mostly don't even smile, so off I went for the 30 minute round trip to home and back to the DMV. Once I returned and waited about ten minutes my number was called. The girl took my forms, my Utah license my Birth Certificate, and after a few minutes of looking at my Birth Cert and then having a conversation with a supervisor she of course asked me if I had any other forms of ID with me. I was so glad she asked because I did and she took my passport and said that since my Birth Cert is an out of country one that it was just much easier to use the Passport. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I went all the way home and back for a document I didn't even need. After that I took my test, passed my test and I am now Legal in the State of California!

It was a lovely morning in the DMV and I am just glad the experience is over. Why are there always the grossest, scummiest people there too! Is that just a place for them to hang out or what? I just don't get the DMV.

5 comments:

Kacey said...

I'm so right up there with you on the DMV...why does getting a DL renewed make those workers so darn cranky!! And I'm SO proud of you for passing! I had to take my test twice in Utah cuz I failed the first time. hehe...I think after getting my DL in Idaho, renewing in Texas and then becoming a legal Utahan was just too confusing to remember all the different state rules. Or I like to tell myself that so I don't feel like such an idiot. :-)

Marilee said...

I feel your pain as I had to do the same thing exactly 10 years ago! It was sooo lame and to top it off I had my picture taken while I was pregnant with Spencer....and we all remember what I looked like then!! Thankfully I "lost" my drivers license and when we moved up to Stev. Ranch I went and had a knew one taken. It was actually such a good pic. that when I moved to CO I asked them if I could keep my Cali DL. Of course they said no!

Blaine and Tirsa said...

Your experience (or the telling of it) made me laugh! :)

Julie said...

I'm glad you're legal.

Heather Palmer said...

I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with US DMV's. I've been able to claim "student status" down here and not change anything. And honestly..if they TAKE a passport as a form of ID (which most places prefer, and consider the best kind) why on earth would she be such a flake and send you all the way home? It's like some people wake up in the morning and think "I'm going to make someone's life miserable today." The nerve!!! Rrrrg.