Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"It's A BAD Day!"

Since life with my sweet little Brooklynn Kay is never, ever dull I will update you on her latest mishap! Yesterday afternoon after an argument with Tyler I went in to talk to Brooklynn about her behavior. She was in my bedroom on a time out and when I came in she started backing away from me. I could just see what was going to happen next... as she backed up she tripped over a bag on the floor, turned to her right slightly to catch herself and bashed her face into my cedar chest. I scooped her up and ran her into the kitchen. Told Nana (who fortunately was here, since Steve was not yet back from Hawaii), to put down Joshy and come and help me out. I will admit I was a little freaking out, but I pulled it together and once we got the bleeding under control decided that it needed to be put back together. We know a plastic surgeon here in Fresno and unfortunately he was in surgery, so off we went to an urgent care center trying of course to avoid the nightmare of going to an ER. The boys went over to Kendra and JD's. Kendra and JD are the absolute best and have now come to my rescue about a thousand times - I love you guys! Thank You!

So, we get to the urgent care center, which was empty, get right in and the Doctor won't glue her back together - "We don't treat facial lacerations in children." What? Alrighty then off to the delightful ER at the Children's hospital. I was thinking I would be there for like 3 hours, I was wrong it was more like 5, in fact no it was 5. I won't even start in on my feelings about the children's hospital and the fact that most of the people in there don't have health insurance and treat it like a DR's office and that it makes me mad that I wait so long (last year we waited 4 hours for Brook's head to get glued) I am a good paying customer, but that just doesn't matter!!! So anyway, here is the result......
We are now glued back together. Thank Heavens for DERMABOND, it is the best stuff out there. It was not fun when they flushed out the wound and then we had to pin her down, but we all lived. Before the Dr came in check her out I was snuggling her and she said, "Mom, It's A BAD Day!." I laughed and agreed with her and so did the people next to us in the other bed. She is very swollen and very brushed. Her teeth are ok, but I think the one that she chipped when she was 18 months old got bashed hard enough that it killed the nerve in it! He put 4 or 5 layers of glue on, so it looks pretty nasty. I hope I never have to go to the ER again! Every time we have gone since we have lived here it has taken a minimun of 4 hours. Including when Steve chopped off the end of his thumb last year! Oh the fun, you just have to grin and move on!

She got the inside of her lip too, luckily she didn't bite all the way through! On the inside of her mouth it wasn't bad enough to stitch or anything!

11 comments:

Julie said...

Poor Baby. It's not as bad as I imagined it would be but it still looks pretty sore. It looks like its in a pretty inconspicuous spot so hopefully the scar won't be too noticable!

Lindsay said...

That looks so nasty! I would have been a complete disaster in that situation. I probably would have been crying myself. I'm glad it's all over!

Nate and Tay said...

Heather I am sorry! Sometimes being a Mom just isn't very much fun at all! I feel for ya! Tay

Marilee said...

Ohhhh Baaaaby (In the auntie Julie tone) is all I can say to that picture!! My goodness it looks sore...but it thankfully doesn't look like its gonna leave a big scar!! The scar on my lower lip from bitting ALL the way through and no dermabond or stitches is only noticable if I point it out and even then people can hardly see it!! Good thing little kids heal so quickly. Just remember its worse on the mom to watch it than for the kids to go through it. For them its over in a few minutes (or hours in your case) but for the mommy it lives in our memory forever!!! I know you'll both be fine!! Love Ya

Kendra said...

We love you guys, we would do anything for you!! Poor Brooky...you said it looked bad, and boy are you right! I am sure it didn't slow her down any.

shannon said...

Poor thing...if it isn't one thing, it's another right? I am glad she's all better and hopefully she'll learn not to test her mommy...yeah, right!

Miller Time said...

poor thing, i am sure that hurts. At least they did not have to do stitches that would have made the visit worst. Don't you just hate the ER, don't tell Brian i said that.

angie j. said...

Poor Brookie! There is seriously nothing worse than having to have your child 'glued' back together. We've had run-ins with dermabond as well, and it's pretty great. Mari had two huge ER visits in 6 months as well. Hang in there!!

Andrew M. Wayment said...

Tell Brookie that auntie Kristin loves her - she is getting so pretty and grown up.

Nicole said...

Ouch! I hope she is doing better...I can picture exactly you watching her fall and knwoign you can't move fast enough to stop it! I hate that.

Proud Momma said...

poor girly...I had to get my lip stitched up when I was about the same age I think...