Monday, September 03, 2007

Crash, Boom, Bang!

Yesterday started out as any regular Sunday. I got up with the kids, we got ready, we went to church. Then in order to pick Steve up at the airport, after his lovely weekend playing golf with the boys, I left church with Josh and left Brooks and Ty to go to primary. I picked Steve up and brought him and Joshua home and then headed back to church so I could go to YW. All sounds pretty normal except that I don't usually pick Steve up from the airport. So, on my way back to church I was driving down the street with 3 or 4 stop signs. Now, you have to understand people here in Central Cali totally suck at 4 way stops. They never know when it is their turn, they will wave at you for 5 minutes to go first when really they should have gone, to say the least it is annoying! Well, I pulled up to a stop sign where they are putting in a light. There was really no one there, one other car and I stopped first so I went through. All of a sudden I realized a car was coming at me from the right and they had obviously not stopped at the stop sign. She grazed my front right bumper, bounced a little and then I t-boned her. It was pretty bad, not terrible, but bad. I can still see her face when she realized that we were going to hit. After we smashed, I sat there thinking to myself, "But I am on my way back to church this isn't supposed to happen." Thankfully Steve was home and came to my rescue and to handle all the car stuff since I was driving his car.

I am ok! My neck is stiff and sore, but I am thankfully not hurt worse than that. It is amazing how something like that makes you super grateful for everything you have and helps you realize how quickly things can change. I also learned or reconfirmed how wonderful all our friends and our ward here is. Steve ended up picking up the kids from church and from just one small conversation in the hall, we had phone calls within minutes of everyone getting home from church and a member of the Bishopric was at our house to make sure everyone was ok. I also had 3 or 4 calls from my great friends checking on me. How blessed we are here!

10 comments:

Julie said...

I'm so glad you're okay and that everyone is good. I'm glad that your ward so totally rocks. There are only a handful of people in my ward who would bother to check on us if something like that happened. Whatevs!

Marilee said...

Heath, I'm so glad you're okay! Mom just told me about your accidente ala Mexicano! It reminded me of the car accident I had when Adam and I were newly weds. Pretty much the same thing where someone missed their stop sign and I hit them. So scary! I'm also happy your ward is so great! It makes a huge difference! Poor Julie, the "We Hate J.A.B.s" group would definately have not been so kind!

Tirsa said...

That is so scarey, Heather! Glad you guys are o.k. Bella puked all over herself and me during church yesterday so my Sunday wasn't the greatest either, although mine was more easily remedied than yours!

angie j. said...

Oh my gosh - I'm glad you're ok. I HATE car accidents. They're so unbelieveable when you're in them. Hope you don't have any lasting injuries.

Amber said...

How scary girl! I'm glad your ok.

Jen said...

Glad you are okay. . . I hate car accidents!!!! Ben and I got into a pretty minor one a few months ago, but since that time I have really been aware just how precious each day of life is.

Christy said...

Sorry that happened. Glad your ok!

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you are ok- Crazy! Isn't it great to have so many people willing to help- we are truly blessed!

Kacey said...

You're right Heath...car accidents AREN'T supposed to happen when you're going to church!! I'm glad you're ok though and that your ward has been so awesome to you.

Empey Times said...

Heather, I am so thankful that you are okay and that the children were not with you. What a nightmare! One way to get a new car for Steve.