Monday, July 27, 2009

The Battle with the Blood Sugar!

This Gestational Diabetes thing is really frustrating. It isn't so much about what I eat, I can deal with the Vegies and the limited bread/carbs and fruit (although the fruit thing is hard, especially with all the yummy fresh fruit around) and even eating lots of protien. I am dealing with all that, I am following the diet they gave me and I really am trying to get this thing under control. But when I eat what is 'good' for me and my blood sugar is too high, it is extremely frustrating. Why is it that I can eat the exact same thing for lunch two days in a row and one day the blood sugar is 'Normal' and the next it is too 'high?' I am baffled and I hope that when I see the Dr. again on Friday I will get some more guidance and answers.

I am determined not to complain, except maybe once in a while to Steve, my Mom, and my sisters. I am getting anxious as the end is getting closer. 60 days until my due date, but I am thinking/hoping they don't let me go to my due date - I don't need Jumbo Baby! HaHa. But really if I can just get to the 37 week mark I will be a happy camper.

I have been greatly blessed with some fantastic Doctors and that gives me some peace of mind. So as the battle continues, I know that I will be well taken care of and I am determined to WIN!

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I really am SOOOOO sorry, Heather. It's not like you are uncomfortable enough pregnant in this heat, now you have to be thinking way to hard about what you put in your mouth. That stinks. This last pregnancy I felt was trying to convince me I never needed to be pregnant again. Maybe you feel the same.

hayley said...

Hang in there:) I shouldn't have messed up my sugar test because I am sure I had undiagnosed gestational diabetes. A 10 pound 10 ounce (she was called jumbo jade at birth, which is really sad to me. I actually cried when I saw her because she looked like a summo wrestler) baby two weeks EARLY is not normal. And on top of that when Jade was born she had low blood sugar and had to be watched for a while. I hope things work out and you can find a diet that works for you. No worries about the VT, I understand:)

Amy said...

The battle begins. I've been dealing with Type 1 for 14 years now and I'm still baffled by those same predicaments! So sorry!! I feel for ya and would hate to have to control mine by diet and exercise alone....love you!! Thinking of you!!

Joy H said...

((((Heather)))) You can do this :)

Marilee said...

You'll win this Heath, of that I have no doubt! Sorry ya have to deal with it at all though, and from one complainer to another, complain away and I won't complain about your complaining! :-) I'm totally serious!

Proud Momma said...

I didn't know you had GD? Sorry about that...I was worried this time I would have it because I gained so much weight but I ended up okay. Good luck! Only 60 more days...I remember when that seemed short!

Jen said...

Totally understand your frustration with diabetes!!!! My doc always told me that diabetes doesn't make sense during pregnancy. And hey "jumbo" babies turn out pretty cute, although they might not be to fun to deliver (I have only experienced them via c-section).

Sherri said...

You are one very strong and remarkable woman, Heather. I sure don't know why you have to have the pregnancies from Shoal, but you have the cutest kids when they get here! They were probably your best buds in an earlier life. If anyone has the fortitude to do what must be done for the good of another, its you! I know I'm old..er, but I really admire your stamina. Love ya.

Kat said...

Good luck with your pregnancy. I am so sorry to hear that you have GD. That would be so hard for me. I love food too much. :) But I know you can do it, you are awesome!

Julie said...

Love you sister! not too much longer!!!!