Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Out of the Heat

I do not love heat! I don't love being hot - give me some 80 degree weather and I am a happy girl. Once the thermometer starts creeping past 95 - I really don't like it. Now, add into that mix that I am a large, somewhat grumpy pregnant lady, let's just say it is not pretty. So I have more or less decided to just stay inside, unless absolutely necessary. I can't even take the kids swimming, but in my defense it is 109 degrees or so. Let's hope we cool down, just a little bit soon.



In that light and in a need to just escape for a little, Steve and I decided to head out to the coast Friday evening and then hit the beach on Saturday. It was spur of the moment and although in our early married years we did the spur of the moment thing often, with more kids it has happened less and less. So when we announced to the kids we were going these were the reactions:



Tyler - Looked at us oddly and said, "What?"
Brooklynn - With big tears in her eyes kept saying, "I don't understand, what do you mean?" She was most confused, I mean really confused, I explained it to her a number of times before she understand and was rolling with the idea.
Josh - Was naked and looking for his swimsuit in about 20 seconds. He just heard beach and was ready to go.



So with that we packed some clothes and left. Let me just say the 30 degree drop in temperature was WONDERFUL!



On Saturday, we enjoyed breakfast at Denny's, a quick check out of the outlet stores, a couple of hours at Avila beach (Steve thought it was cold), a lovely dip in the pool at the hotel and then we were on the road to head home. I am amazed at what a mere 24 hours out of this heat did for my spirits and the joy it brought the rest of the family. Well worth it!





Enjoying a snow cone! Josh picked green, he always pics green.










Proof I was there - I can't believe I am posting this lovely shot.

7 comments:

Kacey said...

Doesn't it feel good to just get up and go like that sometimes. I love your description of their reactions to being spontaneous. Seriously, that was so funny.

(and I LOVE the expression on Josh's face while sitting on the chair eating his snowcone. Green must be really good to make him that happy.)

Melissa said...

I am so glad you got a little break. Sounds like a fun, quick trip. Sometimes thats all you need.

Amy said...

I'm totally wanting a spur of the moment trip...I wish the beach was closer for us....boohoo!! Cute pics and I'm glad you got out of the heat!!!

Jeni said...

109 are you kidding me? It gets to about 104 here and that is killer for me. I have to be fully immersed in the water in order to be outside in that. it is sick really. I dont know how you do it preggers too.
And your kids, can I just say, are so beautiful!

Julie said...

K...so I really haven't talked to you much in the last few days since I didn't know that you took a little trip. I suck! But glad you had fun, were able to cool down and spend some time together! California can be great!

Marilee said...

Glad you got out of the heat and to the beach. How fun to do a spur of the moment trip. When you were telling me about it I didn't realize it was an overnight, spur of the moment family event. Funzies!

Lindsay said...

You are super fun! I am so glad that your little trip helped to pick up your spirits. I hate the hot too, I feel your pain! But the trip looked like a huge success!