Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Confrontation!

Why, may I ask, are some OLD people so completely grumpy? Does getting old give you the right to rudely interject yourself into some unsuspecting persons life? Why do old people feel as though giving unwanted advice or comments is OK and necessary? These are the questions I am left to ponder after my confrontation with an old man at the ATM today. So I shall give you the situation.

I was frantically running around this morning after my gym class and a quick shower to get a few things for Brooklynn for her birthday. (Happy Birthday post to follow sometime) I went and got her a balloon, I rented a Barbie movie she's wanted to watch, I picked up a little cake for a surprise (we aren't really celebrating until tomorrow and then the party is next week sometime!), and then I had to run by the ATM all in about 45 minutes before she was dropped off from pre-school. The ATM is located around the corner from my house, it is a walk up ATM and it sits in the corner of the parking lot on a angle, so there is parking on either side. As I drove up, there was a truck also pulling up to the ATM so as I watched where he was going to park, I cruised around to the other side, pulled in and got to the ATM before him. He's old remember and so slow getting out of his big truck. Now, the spot I pulled into was a 'handicap' spot. I have parked there a number of times to get cash and I have never in my life seen any one with a permit park there to use the ATM. Mind you this spot is also 20 yards from the closest shops. So I finish with my transaction and head back over to my car and this man says to me, "If you do that again, I am going to give you a ticket." Now imagine just a crusty ornery voice. I stood there, just like WHAT? Are you kidding me that he just said that. Mind your own damn business first of all and second of all, who are you to give me a ticket. I couldn't just let it slide because it bugged me so bad. So, I turned around and said, "Are you kidding me, for what? For parking in the closest spot because I have my kids in the car?" "For that, your parked in that spot." he replied. I was stunned, first of all I really just wanted to swear at him and I almost did. I stood there for a minute and then said back, "You are retarded!!!" I may have added a frickin in there as well, I don't remember. And then I got in my car and drove away.

I was fuming and of course I thought of a thousand other things I could have said to the OLD jerk, but I am glad I kept it PG and didn't throw any swears out at him because I was really close! Why do old people have to interfere, it wasn't like he was in need of that spot, he didn't choose to park there and he parked before me, and it wasn't like there were any other cars in the parking lot in need of that spot. I parked there knowing full well it was a designated spot and I was going to be about 1 minute. So all I have to say to all the Senior Citizens (and I don't mean you mom - HaHa!) out there who want to medal in someone else's business is KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

And that is all.

7 comments:

Blaine and Tirsa said...

Heather, I couldn't agree more! Matter of fact, I'm going to blog about this experience when I get a chance but someone just told me how the other day they were with their 6 year old daughter at the post office. Daughter had strept throat and was home from school. She was looking pretty disheveled. So, an old lady proceeds to ask if her daughter has autism. She says, "No" and the lady says, The lady said, "Are you sure?" She says, "Yes", and then the old lady said, "Well, maybe it is just hidden then". Can you believe that? I was so bent out of shape that someone would be SO RUDE!!!
We'll never be that way...RIGHT???

Heather said...

Let's hope we'll never be that way! Yikes, smack me if I am. Please.

Jeni said...

They think they know everything, I hate it, personally I have to deal with this alot as we have a grandmoather, on Brians side, who is always like that. luckily you only have to deal with it with strangers!

Kacey said...

GRRRrrrrr...you go girl! Have to say I've never had an experience quite like that. I would've been ticked off too, especially since you waited to let him park first.

shannon said...

i totally agree with you...for some reason they are entitiled to be major be-yotches...i've had my fair share with the oldies, but they're usually women!

Julie said...

Love that you blogged about it! Hilarious!

Lindsay said...

I am so glad that you said something. I think that old people think that it is their right to talk to younger people like that. I don't know what their deal is but old people are for sure more grumpy!