Monday, November 26, 2007

The Proposal

Alright, I have had many a request for the story of me and Steve's Engagement, so I will delight you all with this wonderful story.

How shall I begin - I will give a little background first I guess. My parents were on their mission in Haiti and for Christmas I was going to fly to Haiti and spend about a week. So, Steve drove with me down to Ryan and Nicole's in Southern California, there is a reason for this so hang with me for a minute. We spent a few days there, then Steve flew back home to Utah/Idaho and I left for Haiti. I had a great time in Haiti and then my mom and I flew together with Seba and Mikael to California. Seba and Mikael were Haitians who were going to start school at Rick's, so Steve and I were driving them back with us. My mom came back for my brother Devaughn's wedding in San Diego. I know, it is all very confusing.

So, after we got back, Steve flew back to California to go to the wedding with us. We had a great time and on New Year's Eve Steve, Seba, Mikael and I loaded up into my little Sunfire and headed out for Idaho. There of course was a hitch with this. The latch in my trunk broke and we had to climb through the back seat to open it. We had so much stuff loaded into that car because people had donated some winter clothes to our Haitians and they were bringing it all with them. They were jam packed into the back seat and I felt so bad for them.

We ended up leaving Irvine much later than we planned and although our plan was to get to Provo that night, it took us like 8 hours or something crazy to get to Vegas due to all of the New Year's Eve traffic, it was bumper to bumper the whole way. Once we got to Vegas we were all exhausted so, we started to try and find a place to stay. Of course we didn't have much luck until we found a little Days Inn or something on the outskirts of Vegas. They had one room left and since there were two boys and two girls, my mom kindly gave us permission to stay as long as the girls shared a bed and the boys shared a bed.

Steve insisted on getting in the hot tub, I couldn't figure out why he was so insisted and finally said ok. The trouble was we couldn't really get to our suitcases because of the trunk latch being broken. So after digging around in my bag I finally found mine, picture me in the back of my sunfire (it was white) with the seat folded down and my body half way into the trunk trying to find my swimming suit. Steve couldn't find his, but he did find his spandex shorts, so he figured they would have to work. Off we went to the hot tub leaving the Haitians watching Dick Clark's Rockin New Year's Eve on TV. So we got in the hot tub and had a great time chatting and things. Then, if I remember correctly Steve made me close my eyes and when I opened them he was holding the ring and asked me to marry him. I of course said yes and that was that. Really it was most uneventful, but kinda of funny!

I guess while I was in Haiti, Steve had gone in to pick a ring and his plan was to wait until we got to Utah and then propose, but he couldn't stand carrying the ring around anymore and so he proposed in Vegas! It was very memorable and it fit because for much of our dating time he was living/working in Vegas and I would come and see him on the weekends. One funny side note is that while we were in California everyone kept bugging Steve asking him when he was going to propose and all that, he didn't want to take anything away from Dev and Kelly and so he just kept blowing them off. Then we went to Del Taco or something for lunch one day and I started going through his wallet and found a receipt from Sierra West (a jewelry store), I didn't get a good look before he scolded me for being snoopy and so while I was hopeful that maybe he had purchased a ring I wasn't sure.

Alright all you blog readers that is the story. I hope you were all entertained! I'm not even sure it really made sense, but at least you get the picture!

8 comments:

Marilee said...

Love that story Heath! I didn't know about your sneak peak at the reciept! Too funny!

Kacey said...

I love your engagement story Heather! You wrote that very well...I wasn't confused at all! :-)
I can't believe you all fit into your sunfire with luggage and everything! I can just picture your bum sticking out while trying to find your swimsuit. Hmmm, maybe Steve saw that and just couldn't wait to propose. hehe

Jeni said...

HEHE that is so fun! I love that he did it in a hot tub! NICE!

Kendra said...

Love it. I can't believe I hadn't heard that story before. It was good for a laugh outta me.

Nicole said...

That brought back fun memories! We were all so relieved when he finally did pop the question. I still have that pic of us outside the temple at D and K's wedding- we really need a new one as that one is so old, faded, etc.

McKenna said...

I remember hearing all the hype about your proposal! It's fun to hear it again, in detal.

Julie said...

Love that one! I like that he was in his spandex shorts. Hehehe

Blaine and Tirsa said...

I enjoyed reading your engagement story. I guess I never heard it! I like how you wrote you were in the hot tub "chatting and THINGS". Why don't you expound more upon what KINDS of THINGS exactly...:)