Monday, June 16, 2008

Wounded

Sometimes as a mom you have moments that you think, boy that was really a smart move and I had one of those this weekend. Let me expound.

Tyler has been in need of a new bike for a least a year now, probably two. He has had the same bike since he was 3, yes people 3 years old. I know he is almost 8, but he much prefered his scooter so it really hasn't been an issue. Well until last week that is. He was invited to a birthday party for one of his good friends. For the party they were going to go over to the the BMX dirt track for about an hour and a half and then they were heading back over to his buddies house for food, presents, water guns, etc. What better excuse to buy him a new bike, right? So I find him a great bike, we get it home and he rides it for a little. We adjust what needs to be adjusted and I notice he isn't super comfortable on it, but think we will have time during the week for him to get used to it. He honestly hasn't been on a bike in like 6 months because his little one needed the tires fixed. Of course as life would have it, we didn't end up having a lot of time for him to ride it, Josh was sick, and on and on. Saturday morning rolled around and I took him over for the party. I had a little nervousness in the pit of my stomach because I knew he wasn't really comfortable with the new bigger bike. I talked to my friend about it and then off they went. When after the 3 hour party I didn't recieve a phone call I figured all went well and there were no broken bones and no injuries! Well, I was wrong. This is what I found when I went to pick him up........


Ouch right! My friends Logan and Jamie felt so bad and kept apologizing, but what can you do! This is what makes you tough right. So I guess what happened was this - Right after they unloaded the bikes, they had to ride down the hill to the track. Keep in mind I have never been there. Tyler jumps on his bike and starts heading down the hill, he isn't used to the hand brakes on the bike, it is super bumpy, it's a hill, he is on a much bigger brand new bike and WIPE OUT. He lost control, landed on his right butt cheek and then slid on his hip. The scrapes and scratches go down almost to his knee, but that one spot took the brunt of it. He also has some good scrapes on his buttocks and some really deep bruises, but all in all he is good. According to the dads that were there, he was super brave and decided he would stay at the party and watch the other boys. I'm proud of him for being BRAVE and for winning the BEST WIPEOUT of the day. I'm also super grateful it wasn't a broken bone or stitches.

Of course being the mom I am, as soon as we got home I took his bike out of the car and made him get on it and ride it up and down the street. Despite the protests, he did and of course he was just fine!


My biggest challenge this week and until it is healed, is going to be keeping enough water proof tape and bandaids around. He has swimming lessons everyday this week and I'm sure we will be in the pool a few other times as well. He was super nervous about whether or not it would sting when he got in the pool this morning, but all was well.


As a side note, Tyler protested the pictures and didn't want me to put them on the blog, but since this is mostly my journal, I had too. Sorry buddy!

12 comments:

Courtney's Corner of the World said...

OUCH! That's not even in a cool place to show off! Poor kiddo... I like how you made him get back on the bike and ride it around tho! haha!
My little brother face planted it a month or two ago, so Tyler's butt/hip looked like the top/side of Gentry's face... lame! He was doing some sort of bike thing too. BOYS!

McKenna said...

OUCH!! Is right!! Way to get back on that bike buddy!! Hope "it", your side bum, feels better soon!

Amy said...

Heather...that comment from McKenna was actually from me! She was using my computer and had your blog up...I didn't know she was signed in...oh well!! I'm sure she would have the same sentiments!! Love you guys!

Kacey said...

Me OH MY...that looks painful! I had to suck in when I saw those pictures. Poor guy. Must say what a relief (for you!) there were no broken bones or stitches.

Kendra said...

Poor buddy. One for the major wreck that left his whole left leg in a hamburger state. Two for crashing in front of all his buddies. and three for his mom taking a picture of his butt cheek. :o) That deserves a smiley. Give him a squeeze for me. Miss ya Ty!

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

When I first looked at the pic before reading what the pic was all about - I couldn't quite figure out what I was looking at. WOW! not only brave to get back on the bike, but brave to have you take a pic of it!! Most likely the first of many spills . . . obviously some are worse than others. Owie hugs and kisses from Auntie Lori(at least this owie was not quite like Malia's owie?!!)

Proud Momma said...

poor little guy! Good for him for being brave though...I'm scared just to take the training wheels off of Drew's bike!

Nicole said...

Ouch! I hope he's ok- tell him Uncle Ryan got a huge scrape like that recently sliding into a base playing softball. It was extra gross because of all the hair on his leg! And he was tagged out!

Lindsay said...

Awesome road rash! But now he knows he can take a fall and keep going!

Marilee said...

OOOUUUUUCCCCHHHHH! Poor Ty Ty! That looks SOOOOOO sore! Glad he didn't get anything worse than the scrapes. Starting out the summer with broken bones and or stitches would really suck! What a brave boy!

Kat said...

Oh my goodness! All I can say is....chicks dig scars. :) LOL. I'm glad that he didn't get hurt more than that. He is one lucky kid.

Kikibug said...

HEY! it's been a while since I popped by.... dang, that is so sad. Poor kid! Judson would KILL me if I even TRIED to take a picture of that. But I wouldn't have resisted either... I hope they heal fast.