Friday, May 16, 2008

My Tyler

A quick story about Ty.  He came home from School the other day excited to tell me about a new center they are doing at school.  They do centers everyday to work on spelling math etc.  So, he goes on to tell me that the new center is called postcards.  They get to pick someone in their class to write a postcard to and then they will be delivered the following Monday.  I said, "Wow buddy that sounds fun, who did you write your postcard to this week."  He says, "Gabriel"  Now of course to you all this means nothing, but let me tell you a little about Gabriel.  He is a little boy in his class who is really nice, but has some problems.  He is not well liked and very often teased.  There have been a few times when Tyler has come home very frustrated because this little boy was bugging him at school, but regardless, my kind son Tyler still has always tried to be nice to him.  So, I then asked Tyler, "Why did you decide to write one to him?"  He replied, "Because no one else in my class will write one to him mom!"  My heart melted, boy I am lucky to have such a thoughtful wonderful boy and what a lesson he taught me.  I definitely can't take credit for teaching him how to be so aware of those around him, but I am so happy he is.   

7 comments:

Julie said...

That makes me cry! He's such a sweet boy. I love him!

Amy said...

You must be posting while in UT!! I love , LOVE you Tyler!! I wish every class, teacher and all the "Gabriels" could have a whole class full of Tylers!! You make me want to keep teaching....well, okay maybe not but you sure do make me miss it already!! Good job, bud!! (gosh if you could only see me now!)

Kendra said...

Love this story! What a great kid!

Kacey said...

That is so impressive. How sweet of Tyler to be so thoughtful. You're doing a great job Heather!!

Lindsay said...

That is so amazing! Julie told me the story before I read your blog and it totally made me cry. He is so sweet!

Marilee said...

Of course I'm crying right now! What a sweet boy our Ty is!

Nicole said...

Ok- We're all boobs- cuz that made me cry too!!! Loves to TY!!