Monday, January 16, 2012

Ice Skating

I grew up Ice Skating.  As a little girl I remember heading down to Bowness Park and skating.  I remember when I learned to skate pushing a chair and I remember taking 'figure skating' lessons one time as well.  So when the invitation came to take the kids skating we were all in! 

Before we went I made sure we all had some gloves.  The kids were most worried because I told them about the time when I was 10 or so that I was skating with my cousin without my mittens and I fell and she skated over my pinkie slicing it open!  Yikes - I still have the scar too. 

Steve came with us, but decided not to get skates (I will say for the record that I have not ever seen him skate and technically don't know if he can).  We got all the kids including Noah into their skates and off we went.  Tyler took off by himself and spent half the time on the ice - let's just say this kid is no hockey player.  Brook went off with her friend Sydney, who spent the time trying to hold her up.  I took a few laps by myself to get my feet under me (it had been a few years) and then I helped Josh figure it out.  I would take a lap with Josh and then he would rest and I would take a lap with Noah.  Noah did great, I just kept telling him to walk his feet and he would pull me. He got tired pretty quickly and I finally had Steve take his skates off.  By the end Josh was going around by himself and doing great!  Ty had gotten the hang of it, although he did fall and hit his head and Brook was doing great!  We had so much fun and I can't wait until we can go again!

I didn't get very many pics, but one of my friends was taking some, so she will send me some too!



2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love the story of you slicing your finger open. It is SO something that would happen to your kids! :) Looks like fun! I think we had the discussion once about how for athletic guys that Steve and Travis CANNOT skate!

Nicole said...

So fun! We have two different friends that ended up with seriously bad injuries this year from ice skating. I haven't been in years, but I want to go again!